CRUMB……..whoops…. erratum….

I have read the text for Crumb a million times but, as is often the case, I have missed a few things. Here are the corrections.  So sorry – Richard.

ERRATUM

Gotchial Page 114:  In the ingredients list

3 medium eggs should read 5 medium eggs

Muesli Breakfast Bread Page 88:

Ferment ingredients should include 150g water

Rustic Miche page 109:

Ingredient list should include 15g salt

Wholemeal and yoghurt flatbreads page 192:

Ingredients should include 250g water

15 replies
  1. Dawn
    Dawn says:

Hi,
    I have just made the dough on page 38 of crumb but there are no instructions on how to bake it. It is almost doubled in size, so hopefully I can find out before it goes in the oven!

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello Dawn
      Richard says that the baking instructions are the same as for the rustic baguettes on page 61 onwards. Happy Baking.

2. Ted
    Ted says:

Hi Richard
    I’ve just baked some sourdough loaves using the starter that I bought from you last week. I followed your recipe from Crust and the results are absolutely fantastic – it’s the best bread I’ve ever made:-D
    Merci mille fois

3. Helen Hughes
    Helen Hughes says:

love love love the book. I have 5 or so bread books but this is the one that makes everything clear. However, I have made the Muesli breakfast bread a couple of times and have had to guess the amount of liquid in the ferment. I am sure it should have some, the first time I put equal water to flour, a bit wet I thought, next I did 100g water to the 200g flour., maybe ok but I need a bit of reassurance. Great book though, I have been making sourdough for 9 years and sometimes I get a failure, I won’t anymore, this book has just helped me nail it. Thank you. Helen

• Carrie Bell
      Carrie Bell says:

Hello Helen

Many thanks for getting in touch with us. You are perfectly correct, there is an omission of water in Richard’s recipe for his Muesli Breakfast Bread. We do apologise for this, there are always a few errors that manage to slip through despite extensive checking!

Please find following corrections for Crumb.

Gotchial Page 114: In the ingredients list, 3 medium eggs should read 5 medium eggs
      Muesli Breakfast Bread Page 88: Ferment ingredients should include 150g water
      Rustic Miche page 109: Ingredient list should include 15g salt
      Wholemeal and yoghurt flatbreads page 192: Ingredients should include 250g water

We do hope that you continue to enjoy baking from Crumb and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

With kind regards

Carrie

4. Jed Herman
    Jed Herman says:

Hi,
    2 questions please. Firstly, will there be a significant difference between the sourdough recipe in Crust vs Crumb? (the proportions of water to flour are very different in both the starter basis and its refresher); secondly the dough for poolish baguettes (Crust, p61) produces a fairly stiff, almost “English” dough with a water content of only just over 60%…is this intentional?
    Thanks

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello

Re the sourdough Ferment the final bread a little different as with the liquid ferment it may get a little more sour (though not too much). It is a different recipe and technique from Crust.

Re the poolish recipe. The recipe is correct but it could be that the flour you are using is pretty strong with high protein? If so, increase the water by 50 to 100g.
      Hope this helps.
      R

5. Richard
    Richard says:

Hi,

Question regarding the malt sourdough starter. When you refresh it, do you use just plain strong flour/water or a combination of strong/rye/malt beer/water?

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

To refresh the ferment I use srtong bread flour. You can tailor your ferment to your taste by adding a little rye or malted wheat flour too if you wish. I would suggest that you try to be consistent in the base recipe of the ferment so it performs consistently.
      Richard

6. Jed Herman
    Jed Herman says:

Hello again, for the kouign aman: once folded with butter etc, does it need proving before being baked?
    Thanks
    I will come to Bath, I promise!

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hi Jed It is better to rest the dough for at least 15/30 min before baking … depending how lively the dough is. Make sure you criss cross the top before baking so it doesn’t rise.

7. Elsa Lam
    Elsa Lam says:

Hello,
    I love your books and would like to join your courses some day.

For the Pain de mie (page 137 of Crumb), is it correct that you need 20g of salt for 500g of flour?
    Thank you.

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello Elsa I am afraid we had some issues with the editing of Crumb. Hello. Some of the corrections didn’t make it through to the final version and are missing. This is one of those errors. It should be 10g salt for 500g flour. Bonne boulange. R

8. chris
    chris says:

Hello Richard
    I was wondering, page 32 you say that we could freeze loaves. Do you mean that we can freeze the dough or the baked bread? If it is the dough, at what stage of the making can we freeze it without causing any damage?

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello Chris – It is better to freeze freshly baked bread. Just make sure it has fully cooled down, then wrap it in paper and then finally in a plastic freezer bag. Defrost fully before eating. You can also refresh it in the oven for 5 minutes before serving.
      Raw dough can be frozen for pizza or flat breads. Make your dough, then leave to rest for a couple of hours. Divide the dough and place it on a plastic tray that can go in the freezer. Once it has fully frozen, remove from tray and store in the freezer in individual freezer bags.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!