CRUMB……..whoops…. erratum….

I have read the text for Crumb a million times but, as is often the case, I have missed a few things. Here are the corrections.  So sorry – Richard.

ERRATUM

Gotchial Page 114:  In the ingredients list

3 medium eggs should read 5 medium eggs

Muesli Breakfast Bread Page 88:

Ferment ingredients should include 150g water

Rustic Miche page 109:

Ingredient list should include 15g salt

Wholemeal and yoghurt flatbreads page 192:

Ingredients should include 250g water

7 replies
  1. Dawn
    Dawn says:

Hi,
    I have just made the dough on page 38 of crumb but there are no instructions on how to bake it. It is almost doubled in size, so hopefully I can find out before it goes in the oven!

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello Dawn
      Richard says that the baking instructions are the same as for the rustic baguettes on page 61 onwards. Happy Baking.

2. Ted
    Ted says:

Hi Richard
    I’ve just baked some sourdough loaves using the starter that I bought from you last week. I followed your recipe from Crust and the results are absolutely fantastic – it’s the best bread I’ve ever made:-D
    Merci mille fois

3. Helen Hughes
    Helen Hughes says:

love love love the book. I have 5 or so bread books but this is the one that makes everything clear. However, I have made the Muesli breakfast bread a couple of times and have had to guess the amount of liquid in the ferment. I am sure it should have some, the first time I put equal water to flour, a bit wet I thought, next I did 100g water to the 200g flour., maybe ok but I need a bit of reassurance. Great book though, I have been making sourdough for 9 years and sometimes I get a failure, I won’t anymore, this book has just helped me nail it. Thank you. Helen

• Carrie Bell
      Carrie Bell says:

Hello Helen

Many thanks for getting in touch with us. You are perfectly correct, there is an omission of water in Richard’s recipe for his Muesli Breakfast Bread. We do apologise for this, there are always a few errors that manage to slip through despite extensive checking!

Please find following corrections for Crumb.

Gotchial Page 114: In the ingredients list, 3 medium eggs should read 5 medium eggs
      Muesli Breakfast Bread Page 88: Ferment ingredients should include 150g water
      Rustic Miche page 109: Ingredient list should include 15g salt
      Wholemeal and yoghurt flatbreads page 192: Ingredients should include 250g water

We do hope that you continue to enjoy baking from Crumb and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

With kind regards

Carrie

4. Jed Herman
    Jed Herman says:

Hi,
    2 questions please. Firstly, will there be a significant difference between the sourdough recipe in Crust vs Crumb? (the proportions of water to flour are very different in both the starter basis and its refresher); secondly the dough for poolish baguettes (Crust, p61) produces a fairly stiff, almost “English” dough with a water content of only just over 60%…is this intentional?
    Thanks

• Jo Bertinet
      Jo Bertinet says:

Hello

Re the sourdough Ferment the final bread a little different as with the liquid ferment it may get a little more sour (though not too much). It is a different recipe and technique from Crust.

Re the poolish recipe. The recipe is correct but it could be that the flour you are using is pretty strong with high protein? If so, increase the water by 50 to 100g.
      Hope this helps.
      R

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!